Using Pagan Skills to Reclaim and Restore our American Symbols and Soul
As Pagans, we understand that symbols have power. Created by humans to express ideas, they acquire a reality of their own which can influence people in turn. As we saw on January 6 when people waving American flags attacked the Capitol, symbols can be corrupted. With Pagan spiritual technology, we can reclaim and strengthen them to support the foundational principles of our Democracy.
Instructor: Diana Paxson, MA
Course Dates: June 7 – July 4 2021
Class Meetings: Thursdays, 7:00 PM ET
Required Reading: Selections of Diana Paxson’s forthcoming book will be provided. Other recommended reading includes:
- Robert N. Bellah, “Civil Religion in America”
- Karoly Pinter, “American Civil Religion: Revisiting a Concept after 50 years”
- Anthony Squiers, “The Political Dimensions of the American Civil Religion” (Ch. 1 of The Politics of the Sacred in America. Springer International E-Book, 2018)
- Jon Meacham, The Soul of America: The Battle for our Better Angels. Random House, 2018.
- David Hackett Fischer, Liberty and Freedom: A Visual History of America’s Founding Ideas. Oxford, 2008